Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A salad consisting of tomatoes, olives, and feta cheese.
- ‘The scientists from Glasgow University were astounded at how quickly tzatziki, souvlaki and Greek salads were replaced with burgers, fish suppers and Scotch pies.’
- ‘It comes with a little Greek salad, a vivid palette of grilled vegetables and a cup of yogurt-and-cucumber tzatziki sauce.’
- ‘The menu is creative and eclectic - Swedish pancakes with lingonberries, Greek salad, quesadillas, cinnamon rolls, Native American fry bread, herring, cheeses, and much, much more.’
- ‘The Greek salad was very simple and good, with lots of feta and olives, and ripe tomatoes.’
- ‘He limited himself to a small bowl of curried pumpkin soup, passing up the Greek salad and spicy chicken samosas prepared by the island's superb chefs.’
- ‘If you want, you can turn the following into a Greek salad by omitting the balsamic vinegar, cutting the tomatoes and onion in wedges or chunks, and adding feta, olives and oregano.’
- ‘They were gazing at the pool and leisurely enjoying pizza and Greek salad on a bench.’
- ‘We also ordered a Greek salad and a green salad with bacon and croutons.’
- ‘All of our orders came with a side Greek salad and fries, though the salads that accompanied the lamb and the salmon were noticeably larger than the one included with the chicken sticks.’
- ‘To start I had the Greek salad of cos and oak leaf lettuce, red and yellow peppers, paper thin red onion slices, creamy feta cheese and a herb and mustard vinaigrette.’
- ‘Proper lunch food is also available, including soups, hot savoury tarts, sandwiches, Greek salad and vegetable lasagne.’
- ‘He chose a proper Greek salad - lettuce, tomato, olives, cucumber and palate-chilling feta cheese followed by a sensible portion of delicious grilled fish.’
- ‘There were three salads: a lettuce one, a bean one and a sort of Greek salad with tofu instead of feta.’
- ‘The two Greek salads were poorly presented, resembling something one might receive during a school dinner, and were equally unpalatable.’
- ‘Greece has its national cucumber dish, tzatziki, and the famous Greek salad combines cucumber with feta, tomato and black olives.’
- ‘They cooked lamb marinated in garlic and red wine, barbecued fish stuffed with basil and bay leaves, faki (a Greek lentil soup), and prepared a lovely Greek salad with olives and feta cheese.’
- ‘All entrées are served with a huge pad of rice, a great Greek salad loaded with olives and feta cheese, and lemon-and-herb-infused roast potato wedges.’
- ‘The sizeable salad bar provides all the standards, plus shrimp, calamari, marinated mushrooms and Greek salad fixings.’
- ‘The Greek salad combines rough chunks of tomato, cucumbers, red and green peppers, a triangle of feta and a hot pepper for a mild but refreshing result.’
- ‘You may start with a salad and the Greek salad is enjoyable even if it has a dash too much dressing.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.