Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A cross of which all four arms are of equal length.
- ‘The design is basically a traditional orthodox dome superimposed over a floor-plan in the shape of a Greek cross.’
- ‘Six medallions with Greek crosses, fishes, and doves (symbolizing the Holy Spirit) appear to float above the waves.’
- ‘It is shaped like a Greek cross with its arms bent at right angles.’
- ‘Their four-petaled flowers bear the resemblance to a Greek cross, which explains why they are frequently referred to as crucifers or cruciferous.’
- ‘Shaped like a Greek cross, the over-life-size case dominated the middle of the gallery, displaying the items in an asymmetrical manner, on several tiers.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.