One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The alphabet used to write ancient and modern Greek.‘alpha is the first letter in the Greek alphabet’
- ‘The Phoenician alphabet was only consonants, no vowels (which is why it was rendered obsolete by the Greek alphabet).’
- ‘The common abbreviation for Christmas to Xmas is derived from the Greek alphabet.’
- ‘Once you have mastered the Greek alphabet, then you must learn how the language is pronounced.’
- ‘You have become so much a part of the scenery that you even begin to toy with the Greek alphabet and practice a few mispronounced words.’
- ‘Bulgarian uses the 29-character Cyrillic alphabet, which was adapted from the Greek alphabet in the ninth century A.D. to accommodate the sounds of the Old Slavonic tongue.’
- ‘Particle experiments in the fifties and sixties produced copious numbers of mesons and baryons named after letters in the Greek alphabet.’
- ‘Delta is the triangle-shaped fourth letter of the Greek alphabet.’
- ‘He was educated by his father, and at the age of three was taught the Greek alphabet and long lists of Greek words with their English equivalents.’
- ‘Some 14 letters of the 24 letter Greek alphabet are shared with Latin.’
- ‘Slowly skill at reading and writing in the Greek alphabet spread among the upper classes throughout Greek-speaking areas.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.