One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The alphabet used to write ancient and modern Greek.‘alpha is the first letter in the Greek alphabet’
- ‘Delta is the triangle-shaped fourth letter of the Greek alphabet.’
- ‘You have become so much a part of the scenery that you even begin to toy with the Greek alphabet and practice a few mispronounced words.’
- ‘Some 14 letters of the 24 letter Greek alphabet are shared with Latin.’
- ‘Slowly skill at reading and writing in the Greek alphabet spread among the upper classes throughout Greek-speaking areas.’
- ‘Particle experiments in the fifties and sixties produced copious numbers of mesons and baryons named after letters in the Greek alphabet.’
- ‘The common abbreviation for Christmas to Xmas is derived from the Greek alphabet.’
- ‘Once you have mastered the Greek alphabet, then you must learn how the language is pronounced.’
- ‘Bulgarian uses the 29-character Cyrillic alphabet, which was adapted from the Greek alphabet in the ninth century A.D. to accommodate the sounds of the Old Slavonic tongue.’
- ‘He was educated by his father, and at the age of three was taught the Greek alphabet and long lists of Greek words with their English equivalents.’
- ‘The Phoenician alphabet was only consonants, no vowels (which is why it was rendered obsolete by the Greek alphabet).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.