Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
By a considerable amount; very much:‘I admire him greatly’[as submodifier] ‘they now have greatly increased powers’
very much, much, by a considerable amount, considerably, to a great extent, substantially, appreciably, significantly, markedly, sizeably, seriously, materially, signally, profoundly, to a great degreeenormously, vastly, immensely, tremendously, hugely, mightily, abundantly, extremely, exceedingly, remarkablyplenty, majorly, well, to the nth degreeView synonyms
- ‘Thoughts on any suitable strategies or war stories would be greatly appreciated.’
- ‘An honest ability in the maintenance of small things is greatly to be respected.’
- ‘The other essential is a pond, which greatly increases the diversity of garden life.’
- ‘It will greatly enhance the ability of public health staff to deal with future incidents.’
- ‘I greatly regret not allowing something to happen which would have been good for both of us.’
- ‘As the weight of traffic has greatly increased I find this should be a necessity now.’
- ‘This picture was greatly admired by the King of France who above all else was a lover of art.’
- ‘It was then I noticed exactly who was working the door, and it shocked me greatly.’
- ‘I respect you greatly and very much admire what you have achieved in so many places.’
- ‘If you could find a moment to mention it on your journal, I'd greatly appreciate it.’
- ‘There is also the greatly increased pollution these measures are known to create.’
- ‘The performance of this play in the following year greatly increased his notoriety.’
- ‘After that his manners greatly improved, and he became very fond of their dog, Timmy.’
- ‘The fabric of the building must have suffered greatly from the recent extremes of weather.’
- ‘Mary was very much at the centre of the family circle and she will be greatly missed by all.’
- ‘One could tell she had greatly admired the skills of other sportsmen and women.’
- ‘Other maintenance jobs which will greatly improve the look of your lawn can also be done in spring.’
- ‘Numerological significance can greatly add to the power of the runes when used in magic.’
- ‘This was a beautiful, moving film and the music contributed greatly to its power.’
- ‘The Greenland climate is greatly influenced by the amount of heat released by the sea.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.