One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large North Atlantic skua with mainly brown plumage, feeding by robbing other seabirds.
Catharacta skua, family StercorariidaeAlso called bonxie
- ‘The great skuas, known locally as bonxies, which live by stealing fish from smaller birds, are displaying disturbing behavioural changes.’
- ‘Although the numerous seabirds that surround it in spring are great too watch, be aware of the great skuas, or ‘bonxies’.’
- ‘Records stretching back 30 years indicate a tricky problem for marine conservation: When fishing vessels discard less fish-waste material, scavenging seabirds called great skuas attack and kill more neighboring seabirds.’
- ‘In the present study, we investigate sex differences in environmental sensitivity of great skuas Stercorarius skua, in natural broods and in experimental broods without sibling competition.’
- ‘From Sidhean Mor we followed a faint path south, back towards the lighthouse, passing a small loch below Sidhean Beag where bonxies, great skuas, were creating turmoil amongst the oystercatcher nests.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.