Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large North Atlantic skua with mainly brown plumage, feeding by robbing other seabirds.Also called bonxie
- ‘In the present study, we investigate sex differences in environmental sensitivity of great skuas Stercorarius skua, in natural broods and in experimental broods without sibling competition.’
- ‘Although the numerous seabirds that surround it in spring are great too watch, be aware of the great skuas, or ‘bonxies’.’
- ‘From Sidhean Mor we followed a faint path south, back towards the lighthouse, passing a small loch below Sidhean Beag where bonxies, great skuas, were creating turmoil amongst the oystercatcher nests.’
- ‘The great skuas, known locally as bonxies, which live by stealing fish from smaller birds, are displaying disturbing behavioural changes.’
- ‘Records stretching back 30 years indicate a tricky problem for marine conservation: When fishing vessels discard less fish-waste material, scavenging seabirds called great skuas attack and kill more neighboring seabirds.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.