One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Something of small or modest proportions may grow into something very large or impressive.
- ‘Isn't it amazing how great oaks from little acorns grow.’
- ‘His life is true to the saying ‘Great oaks from little acorns grow.’’
- ‘‘Great oaks from little acorns grow,’ said Myron, the Chamber's vice president for Asia, ‘and the business community hopes more countries will join in.’’
- ‘Just as great oaks from little acorns grow, great-group goings-on emerge from small stories of selfish citizens.’
- ‘‘Great oaks from little acorns grow’ is an adage that is useful in looking at the unqualified success realized in the Portage County, Ohio, horticultural therapy program.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.