One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Something of small or modest proportions may grow into something very large or impressive.
- ‘Just as great oaks from little acorns grow, great-group goings-on emerge from small stories of selfish citizens.’
- ‘‘Great oaks from little acorns grow’ is an adage that is useful in looking at the unqualified success realized in the Portage County, Ohio, horticultural therapy program.’
- ‘His life is true to the saying ‘Great oaks from little acorns grow.’’
- ‘‘Great oaks from little acorns grow,’ said Myron, the Chamber's vice president for Asia, ‘and the business community hopes more countries will join in.’’
- ‘Isn't it amazing how great oaks from little acorns grow.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.