One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dog of a very large, powerful, short-haired breed.
- ‘Because this breed is intelligent, Great Danes are easy to train.’
- ‘The City Police Dog Squad has 21 dogs belonging to five different breeds - nine Labrador Retrievers, six Dobermann Pinschers, three German Shepherds, two Great Danes and a Rottweiler.’
- ‘Opening the door Caroline walked in to be greeted by her dog Apollo, who was a Great Dane and looked ferocious because of his black fur.’
- ‘This year there was a large contingent of Great Danes and Mastiffs.’
- ‘Large, powerful dogs are frequently targeted, including Akitas, chow chows, Dalmatians, Dobermans, German Shepherds, Great Danes, pit bulls, Rottweilers as well as mixes of these breeds.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.