Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large ape of a family closely related to humans, including the gorilla, orangutan, and chimpanzees, but excluding the gibbons; an anthropoid ape.
- ‘They are one of four kinds of great apes, along with chimpanzees, gorillas, and bonobos, and the only apes that come from Asia.’
- ‘It's been known for some time that great apes such as chimpanzees and gorillas engage in cultural behavior.’
- ‘The study looked in detail at each of the four great ape species - chimpanzee, bonobo, gorilla, and orangutan - to assess the current, remaining, habitat deemed relatively undisturbed and thus able to support viable populations of apes.’
- ‘Today it comprises humans, the gibbons, and the great apes (orangutan, chimpanzee, and gorilla).’
- ‘The argument is at its most powerful when it comes to the great apes chimpanzees, gorillas and orang-utans.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.