One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large ape of a family closely related to humans, including the gorilla, orangutan, and chimpanzees, but excluding the gibbons; an anthropoid ape.
- ‘Today it comprises humans, the gibbons, and the great apes (orangutan, chimpanzee, and gorilla).’
- ‘They are one of four kinds of great apes, along with chimpanzees, gorillas, and bonobos, and the only apes that come from Asia.’
- ‘The study looked in detail at each of the four great ape species - chimpanzee, bonobo, gorilla, and orangutan - to assess the current, remaining, habitat deemed relatively undisturbed and thus able to support viable populations of apes.’
- ‘It's been known for some time that great apes such as chimpanzees and gorillas engage in cultural behavior.’
- ‘The argument is at its most powerful when it comes to the great apes chimpanzees, gorillas and orang-utans.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.