One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A daughter of one's nephew or niece.
- ‘Emil's nieces, great-nieces and great-nephew always brought him great joy.’
- ‘Yet, unable to have children of her own, she never let a great-niece or great-nephew's birthday pass without a card and a check.’
- ‘Jack agrees to keep the Baby a secret from Erica and then touches Bianca's belly, wondering whether he'll get a great-niece or great-nephew.’
- ‘A 71-YEAR-old unsolved murder is to be reviewed by police after ‘new evidence’ was revealed in a book written by the victim's great-niece.’
- ‘‘My feeling is that rioting and violence don't give solutions, but it was the only option for the suffragettes, as they didn't have any say through the normal democratic channels,’ says McCallum's great-niece.’
- ‘Christopher, this is Nicole, my great-niece,’ Aunt Beth said.’
- ‘His early career brought him firmly within the English orbit: he was educated at Henry I's court and became earl of Huntingdon in 1113 through his marriage to Matilda, a great-niece of William the Conqueror.’
- ‘‘I don't want to just throw these, ‘Aunt Glad said, and held out to her great-niece the flowers they'd bought on the way.’’
- ‘‘Aunt Helen was always mischievous,’ her great-niece informed me during an interview.’
- ‘Surviving are four nieces and many great-nieces and nephews.’
- ‘‘Why not,’ Angelina sighed, wondering what her stubborn great-niece had planned now.’
- ‘However, old man Magus and his great-niece, Ayla, saved my life.’
- ‘According to a great-niece, Frank married twice more, first to a widow who lived near his father's farm.’
- ‘Everyone, I want you to meet my great-niece, Melinda.’
- ‘I am going to do whatever it takes to defend the honor of my family, and that includes ensuring that my great-niece marries someone of purity and devotion.’
- ‘Reflections on Rosemary were given by her niece Claire and one of her great-nieces, Annie.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.