Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Paper that is impermeable to oil or grease, used in cooking or to wrap food.‘line the tin with greaseproof paper’
- ‘She proceeded to create a template from greaseproof paper and stuck it to her plate.’
- ‘Most modern puddings are made in a basin covered with layers of foil and greaseproof paper.’
- ‘Shake the pepper on to a sheet of greaseproof paper and press the steaks in the pepper until evenly coated.’
- ‘Bake the pastry case blind by covering with parchment or greaseproof paper and baking beans for about 15 minutes.’
- ‘Not all that long ago when you bought meat it was cut before you and wrapped firstly in white greaseproof paper and then in light brown, rather stronger, paper.’
- ‘Roll out the pastry between two sheets of greaseproof paper until it is large enough to overlap the sides of a 25 cm fluted tart ring with a removable base.’
- ‘Place the filled balls onto a baking tray, lightly greased or lined with greaseproof paper and pop them into the oven for about ten minutes, until slightly browned at the edges.’
- ‘The drawer was scrubbed scrupulously after it was emptied and lined with baking paper or greaseproof paper before being refilled.’
- ‘Cover the bowl with greaseproof paper, allow to cool and then place in the fridge or leave in a cool place overnight.’
- ‘Add the rosemary, cover with greaseproof paper, place in the preheated oven, and roast for 15 minutes.’
- ‘Line a shallow baking tin with a little oil and greaseproof paper.’
- ‘Fold in all edges, roll up neatly into a roll with aid of tea towel and roll onto a greaseproof paper-lined baking sheet.’
greaseproof paper/ˌɡriːspruːf ˈpeɪpə/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.