Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An edible freshwater fish which is silvery-grey with horizontal violet stripes and has a long high dorsal fin, of both Eurasia and North America.
- ‘Like all salmonids the grayling has a small adipose fin behind the dorsal fin.’
- ‘Most species of river fish will be surveyed including trout, grayling, dace, barbel, chub and pike.’
- ‘The grayling fishing in the summer months can certainly be exciting when fishing with a dry fly.’
- ‘By carrying out the project we hope to attract fish, such as chub, dace, grayling and trout as well as other wildlife back to this particular stretch of river.’
- ‘Winter grayling fishing on a cold riverbank may not be to everyone's taste but it offers a welcome antidote to a severe case of the winter fishing blues.’
2A mainly brown European butterfly which has wings with bright eyespots and greyish undersides.
- ‘The grayling butterfly also attracts lurking predators by displaying the eye-spots, but at the same time diverts their attention to the unimportant parts of their body.’
- ‘Has anyone come across the magnificent Banded Grayling Butterfly in this area in recent years?’
- ‘The grayling is a common heathland butterfly.’
- ‘This Grayling Butterfly is sunning itself on the bark of a large Pine tree, if I had not seen it pitch it probably would have gone undetected.’
- ‘The Grayling has a very coastal distribution in Scotland being found on rocky cliffs, dunes, grassland, heathland or along woodland paths but all these diverse habitats are characterised by having open bare areas of soil or stony ground which receive the full warmth of the sun.’
Middle English: from gray (variant of grey)+ -ling.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.