One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- US spelling of grey
The SI unit of the absorbed dose of ionizing radiation, corresponding to one joule per kilogram.
- ‘Radiation doses are measured in rads or grays, where 1 gray equals 100 rads.’
- ‘The sievert is numerically equivalent to the gray for electrons and for X-rays irradiating the whole body.’
- ‘To calculate the dose equivalent one of the workers would receive in sieverts, you would need to multiply the dose in grays, by the quality factor.’
- ‘When a doctor prescribes a treatment he will define it in terms of dose in Grays required at a point.’
- ‘Thus for these particular radiations the dose equivalent in sieverts is numerically equal to the absorbed dose in grays.’
1970s: named after Louis H. Gray (1905–65), English radiobiologist.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.