One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for dry dock
- ‘On April 5, a fleet of DMS tugs guided the warship from Fleet Base East to the southern section of the graving dock.’
- ‘The depth of water in the Herculaneum graving docks could be increased by pumping water from the river into the dock itself, to allow deep-drafted vessels to enter the graving dock at low neap tides.’
- ‘Three covered graving docks were constructed and eyewitness reports indicate all three now have carriers building in them.’
- ‘By 1760, the first shipyards at Greenock were open, and in 1786 a graving dock was completed.’
- ‘The Venezia scheme took the outlines of the 1797 graving docks and extruded them as rectangular elements, raised at right angles to the building.’
Early 19th century: graving from grave.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.