One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A swelling of the neck and protrusion of the eyes resulting from an overactive thyroid gland.Also called exophthalmic goitre
- ‘I'm 68 and have rheumatoid arthritis (in remission), osteoarthritis, osteoporosis and Graves' disease.’
- ‘The most common cause of hyperthyroidism is Graves' disease.’
- ‘Occasionally, patients with autoimmune disorders such as Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Graves' disease also have HAIR-AN syndrome.’
- ‘Subclinical hyperthyroidism may be a distinct clinical entity, related only in part to Graves' disease or multinodular goiter.’
- ‘Six months later there was a diagnosis: an overactive thyroid caused by Graves' disease.’
Mid 19th century: named after Robert J. Graves (1796–1853), the Irish physician who first identified it.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.