Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1formal A tip given to a waiter, taxi driver, etc.
tip, gift, present, donation, reward, handout, recompense, boon, baksheeshView synonyms
- ‘As we headed home, my mate wondered why many cafés have counter-top jars for tips if paying gratuities was not New Zealand custom.’
- ‘Make the martini their way and you'll get a bigger tip; to amass the greatest wealth in gratuities, you must learn to make over 100 drinks.’
- ‘These gratuities are voluntary rewards given from spectators who genuinely enjoyed the battle in the ring.’
- ‘However, a special gratuity paid to a driver, for example at Christmas, may not be taxable.’
- ‘But for the amount of work we do, a small gratuity is always appreciated.’
2British A sum of money paid to an employee at the end of a period of employment.‘an end-of-contract gratuity of 20% of the total pay received’
- ‘Well, as part of my pay for February, I received my gratuity for the contract period that ended December 31, 2002.’
- ‘Charitable payments or gratuities given by employers should not be deducted from awards of damages as it is important not to discourage benevolence.’
- ‘It also wants to lengthen the qualifying period for long-service leave and dump a gratuity entitlement.’
- ‘Government has been implored to intervene in the labour stand-off between the company and its workers following failure by management to pay gratuity to over 400 employees.’
- ‘He added that the retirement gratuity had been increased following negotiations which had been accepted by the union side.’
Late 15th century (denoting graciousness or favour): from Old French gratuité or medieval Latin gratuitas ‘gift’, from Latin gratus ‘pleasing, thankful’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.