Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A network of lines representing meridians and parallels, on which a map or plan can be represented.
web, criss-cross, grid, lattice, net, matrix, mesh, webbing, tracery, trellisView synonyms
- ‘The intimate zone of home is plotted on the abstract graticule of the globe.’
- ‘The map's graticule thus established the structural correctness of the conceptual geographical archive.’
- ‘Triangulation also fixed any specific point within the comprehensive graticule of longitude and latitude that described the shape and size of the globe.’
- ‘The map has no indicator of orientation except the graticule, the latitude and longitude grid.’
- ‘Completely surrounding the map is a 'graticule' which you can use to give you an idea about the scale of the map.’
- 1.1A series of fine lines or fibres in the eyepiece of an optical device, such as a microscope, or on the screen of an oscilloscope, used as a measuring scale or an aid in locating objects.
- ‘Diameters at 1-4 mm behind the root apex were measured using a stereo microscope with an eyepiece graticule.’
- ‘Female body size (pronotum width) was measured using the eyepiece graticule in a binocular microscope.’
- ‘Stomatal and epidermal cell numbers were counted using a microscope and eye-piece graticule and the systematic sampling strategy described previously.’
- ‘The initial strip length was measured using a magnifying eyepiece with a graticule.’
- ‘Stomatal densities of both leaf sides were determined under the microscope with an eye-piece graticule.’
Late 19th century: from French, from medieval Latin graticula a little grating, from Latin craticula gridiron, diminutive of cratis hurdle.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.