nounmass nounSouth African
Uncultivated land on which the dominant vegetation type is indigenous grass.
- ‘Dung beetle sampling was done in four different localities within two different habitat types, a grassveld area and a bushveld (savanna) area.’
- ‘The terrain consists mainly of gently undulating sour grassveld with some hilly terrain, rocky outcrops and sheer cliffs.’
- ‘The wide open grassveld is the ideal place to see larks and pipits.’
- ‘Within the moist tall grassveld rainfall is about 1 000 mm a year or more.’
- ‘The Cape Hare prefers to live in dry, open grassveld.’
Partly translating Afrikaans grasveld ‘prairie’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.