Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Uncultivated land on which the dominant vegetation type is indigenous grass.
- ‘The wide open grassveld is the ideal place to see larks and pipits.’
- ‘Within the moist tall grassveld rainfall is about 1 000 mm a year or more.’
- ‘The terrain consists mainly of gently undulating sour grassveld with some hilly terrain, rocky outcrops and sheer cliffs.’
- ‘Dung beetle sampling was done in four different localities within two different habitat types, a grassveld area and a bushveld (savanna) area.’
- ‘The Cape Hare prefers to live in dry, open grassveld.’
Partly translating Afrikaans grasveld prairie.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.