Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A large open area of country covered with grass, especially one used for grazing.‘acres of rough grassland’
turf, greenery, green, sodView synonyms
- ‘As much or more management is required for grasslands than for cropland, he said.’
- ‘The track eventually emerges from the tree cover to open grassland.’
- ‘Agricultural lands, rainforests and other wooded areas, grasslands, and sources of fresh water are all at risk.’
- ‘It also confirms changes from tillage crop area to grassland or vice versa.’
- ‘This is an area of open grasslands grazed year round by large concentrations of several ungulate species.’
- ‘Denser, shrubby ecosystems are also encroaching on grasslands in many areas.’
- ‘We were to observe every living organism in our little area of grassland and listen for as many different sounds as we could.’
- ‘Roads will be removed or tunnelled and ploughed fields returned to open grassland.’
- ‘Nearby grasslands provide an open area where the young can forage for insects.’
- ‘Other weed species found include bracken, which is now associated with acidic grassland rather than arable fields.’
- ‘However, the plains zebras are the most common and live on the open grasslands and along the edges of deserts in Africa.’
- ‘Optimal habitat consists of open medium to tall grasslands fringed with an ecotone of woody vegetation.’
- ‘In early spring, the grasslands are often covered with the shiny yellow heads of goldfields.’
- ‘Soon the landscape alters from timbered hillside to open grassland and wildflowers.’
- ‘The majority of the land was covered in improved grassland and tillage.’
- ‘The open grassland around Stonehenge in southern England used to be a favorite haunt of the bird.’
- ‘They might move from a summer grassland to an area of streams and lakes when the grasslands get too dry.’
- ‘The wide stretches of bamboo and grassland cover the entire northern region.’
- ‘Many of the remaining grasslands are located in areas with high natural amenities.’
- ‘An area of grassland near Lower Pen Pond was designated a protected zone to encourage the skylarks to breed undisturbed.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.