One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant-eating insect with long hind legs which are used for jumping and for producing a chirping sound, frequenting grassy places and low vegetation.
Family Acrididae, order Orthoptera: many genera
- ‘Only butterflies, grasshoppers, mosquitoes and flies are netted there.’
- ‘They also occasionally eat insects, especially grasshoppers, cicadas and crickets.’
- ‘By mid-summer, both grasshoppers and corn earworms can be heavy feeders on a variety of crops.’
- ‘Soybeans have emerged in many fields and some plants have had minor feeding damage due to bean leaf beetles and grasshoppers.’
- ‘A woodchat's prey is mainly insects, beetles, damsel flies, dragonflies, grasshoppers, wasps and bees.’
- ‘Watch a kite sweep the skies for large insects such as grasshoppers, cicadas and dragonflies.’
- ‘It only took 5 days to sink to the level of digging out ants and grasshoppers for ‘protein’ purposes.’
- ‘In Thailand, open-air markets sell silkworms, grasshoppers, and water bugs by the pound.’
- ‘Other insects, such as cutworm and grasshoppers, are general agricultural pests world-wide.’
- ‘Seasonally they dine on insects, especially caterpillars, beetles, and grasshoppers.’
- ‘Even wild insects such as roasted grasshoppers, flying termites, and caterpillar skins are enjoyed as snacks.’
- ‘They will eat insects such as grasshoppers in the summer and cereal seeds in the winter.’
- ‘A few small grasshoppers and lygus bugs were found in the alfalfa but the number of these pests was low.’
- ‘Now, in August, the shrill sound of grasshoppers rang out across the undulating flatland beyond Sand Creek.’
- ‘No, true locusts belong to the same family of insects as grasshoppers.’
- ‘Locust normally live for two to six months and are similar to flying grasshoppers.’
- ‘The buzz of insects and the musical chirping of grasshoppers filled the air.’
- ‘Within the past decade, two bush crickets, relatives of grasshoppers, have arrived on local grasslands.’
- ‘The insect was later confirmed to be an Egyptian grasshopper, a voracious plant-eater normally found only in the Mediterranean area.’
- ‘Aphids, grasshoppers, and gall wasps appear in the Cretaceous, as well as termites and ants in the later part of this period.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.