Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A plant-eating insect with long hind legs which are used for jumping and for producing a chirping sound, frequenting grassy places and low vegetation.
- ‘Aphids, grasshoppers, and gall wasps appear in the Cretaceous, as well as termites and ants in the later part of this period.’
- ‘Soybeans have emerged in many fields and some plants have had minor feeding damage due to bean leaf beetles and grasshoppers.’
- ‘Locust normally live for two to six months and are similar to flying grasshoppers.’
- ‘The buzz of insects and the musical chirping of grasshoppers filled the air.’
- ‘Now, in August, the shrill sound of grasshoppers rang out across the undulating flatland beyond Sand Creek.’
- ‘Seasonally they dine on insects, especially caterpillars, beetles, and grasshoppers.’
- ‘Only butterflies, grasshoppers, mosquitoes and flies are netted there.’
- ‘In Thailand, open-air markets sell silkworms, grasshoppers, and water bugs by the pound.’
- ‘Even wild insects such as roasted grasshoppers, flying termites, and caterpillar skins are enjoyed as snacks.’
- ‘Other insects, such as cutworm and grasshoppers, are general agricultural pests world-wide.’
- ‘No, true locusts belong to the same family of insects as grasshoppers.’
- ‘Within the past decade, two bush crickets, relatives of grasshoppers, have arrived on local grasslands.’
- ‘Watch a kite sweep the skies for large insects such as grasshoppers, cicadas and dragonflies.’
- ‘They will eat insects such as grasshoppers in the summer and cereal seeds in the winter.’
- ‘By mid-summer, both grasshoppers and corn earworms can be heavy feeders on a variety of crops.’
- ‘It only took 5 days to sink to the level of digging out ants and grasshoppers for ‘protein’ purposes.’
- ‘A few small grasshoppers and lygus bugs were found in the alfalfa but the number of these pests was low.’
- ‘They also occasionally eat insects, especially grasshoppers, cicadas and crickets.’
- ‘A woodchat's prey is mainly insects, beetles, damsel flies, dragonflies, grasshoppers, wasps and bees.’
- ‘The insect was later confirmed to be an Egyptian grasshopper, a voracious plant-eater normally found only in the Mediterranean area.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.