One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant of the pea family which is cultivated as food for animals and humans, though excessive consumption can lead to lathyrism.Also called chickling pea
- ‘Grass pea is a weedy annual with one to several glabrous stems arising from 20-50 cm high.’
- ‘In India, grass pea is the cheapest pulse crop available.’
- ‘Neurolathyrism is a spastic paraparesis that can be caused by excessive consumption of the drought-resistant grass pea (Lathyrus sativus).’
- ‘Livestock may also develop paralysis if they ingest grass pea for a long time.’
- ‘In this context, the grass pea is a wild relative of pea that possesses several interesting agronomic traits that might be useful for P. sativum, especially in terms of disease resistance.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.