One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large Chinese freshwater fish, farmed for food in SE Asia and introduced elsewhere to control the growth of vegetation in waterways.
Ctenopharyngodon idella, family Cyprinidae
- ‘Though still on experimental level, we are introducing fast growing grass carp, a weed-eating fish, into the lake.’
- ‘As with all coarse fish, grass carp begin feeding upon invertebrates before moving on to a wider diet including soft plants.’
- ‘To help combat the weed, two grass carp have been introduced.’
- ‘Silver carp and tilapia fed on the phytoplankton; the grass carp, wuchang fish and common carp ate green fodder.’
- ‘The Asian grass carp, a voracious vegetarian, has changed the face of some Texas waters by devouring native aquatic vegetation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.