One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1usually treated as singular The products of the graphic arts, especially commercial design or illustration.
- ‘Industrial products and graphics are outcomes of the design process, but they do not begin to describe the boundaries of design's playing field.’
- ‘Its films are used in the graphics arts industries to make signs and banners.’
- ‘She trained in Fine Art at the Byamshaw School of Art in London and in Brighton, where she gained a degree in graphics and illustrations.’
- ‘For a three-dimensional effect, some rigid containers are embossed with logos or graphics.’
- ‘A painter and writer, he has also worked in graphics and ceramics, taught art, illustrated books, and written fiction both for children and adults.’
- ‘Glaser designed all of their graphics and posters for the year 2000.’
- ‘Ever since Jen found out that Adam is a graphic designer and produces cartoons and graphics for a living, she's been fascinated.’
- ‘The school acquired it just a month ago and the fifth class pupils were fascinated with the graphics and illustrations.’
- ‘Ever wonder how manufacturers choose the colors and graphics for their upcoming products?’
- ‘There are three plastic cases in a cardboard slipcase, with a variety of photos and magical graphics.’
- ‘Most changes were in text, with very little change in photos and graphics.’
- ‘He won an award at school when he was six and he really wants to go into design or graphics and cartoons.’
- ‘One of the main advantages of this exhibit is that it showed works from the three main genres of the art - painting, graphics and sculptures.’
- ‘Her daughter Brigitte, a graphics student, designed the cover.’
- ‘I couldn't figure out what was so amazing about my graphics and designs that they were better than everyone else's.’
- ‘You will learn about writing and graphics and photographs and design, and why one type face is preferable to another and why this Web site is superior to that.’
- ‘There is a workshop for metal work, and a gallery of painting, sculpture, graphics and drawings.’
- ‘The pleasing placement of graphics and photographs can, it seems, be as important as the quality of the text itself.’
- ‘The Fifties was the triumph of streamlining, push-button technology, new graphics styles, new icons.’
- ‘The historical background of APs is that they were created to signify the artist's final approval of a print after the long process used to create the graphics.’
2usually treated as singular The use of diagrams in calculation and design.
- ‘Superb design, excellent graphics and jargon-free text elucidate the details of this fascinating and controversial medical phenomenon.’
- ‘The print copy of an article may include graphics, tables, diagrams, notes, or charts.’
- ‘Many newer textbooks have incorporated more images and graphics.’
- ‘This visual language was based on a combination of charts, graphics, diagrams, maps.’
- ‘There are machines that design the page with graphics and photographs.’
3treated as plural usually treated as singular Visual images produced by computer processing.
- ‘Computer generated graphics are then added to the video so that the user sees an image of the real world overlaid with context sensitive information.’
- ‘To increase the loading speed of your main page you should avoid large graphics or excessive graphics.’
- ‘The site itself will contain about 10-15 pages of HTML with a total of maybe 5MB of graphics and images.’
- ‘Developers can give their graphics an added gloss with numerous visual effects, ranging from semi-transparency to drop shadows.’
- ‘This is RAM that is dedicated to handling the visuals and graphics on your notebook computer.’
- 3.1treated as singular The use of computers linked to display screens to generate and manipulate visual images.
- ‘So what's the best format for web graphics: gif or jpeg?’
- ‘Computer games are an intricate blend of immersive graphics and creative gameplay programming.’
- ‘The best feature of the film is the life-like computer imaging and graphics.’
- ‘The font, the graphics, the screen capture images are top-notch publishing and desktop publishing reference works of art.’
- ‘Always resize your image in your graphics software before you insert it onto your web page.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.