Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An electronic device or computer program which allows the separate control of the strength and quality of frequency bands in an audio signal.
- ‘However, the crisp sound, customisable graphic equaliser and virtual surround sound are features that serious audiophiles should appreciate.’
- ‘But how's this for improvements - they've added a little LCD screen that is surprisingly functional, a 5-band graphic equalizer that you can customize, and a built-in mic and recording capability.’
- ‘They come with a software-controlled ten-band graphic equalizer with presets for musical genres like rock and jazz.’
- ‘You can also adjust three bars, like a graphic equaliser, controlling how recently the page was updated, how popular the site is and whether it is an exact or approximate word match.’
- ‘The graphic equalizer found in a car stereo system is a common example of one kind of EQ device called a shelving equalizer.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.