Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The art or skill of combining text and pictures in advertisements, magazines, or books.
artwork, design, graphic designView synonyms
- ‘His books attempted to mix the visual aspects of drawing and graphic design with the poetics of sequence.’
- ‘Their daughter has contributed her graphic design skills to the cause.’
- ‘There is more going on in media design and graphic design there.’
- ‘It asked these questions: What is graphic design and how does it impact advertising?’
- ‘It is digital photography and a judicious mix of graphic design, text, signs and symbols.’
- ‘There is almost a confusion between graphic design as an activity and advertising as an activity.’
- ‘Of course, this assumes that we're talking about graphic design as commercial art.’
- ‘This period of modernity was expressed most strongly in graphic design and photo montage.’
- ‘A high percentage of professional graffiti artists graduate into graphic design or other commercial work.’
- ‘For this reason, he recommends illustrators become well-versed in new media as well as graphic design for print work.’
- ‘The graphic design illustrates and makes tangible the various working processes.’
- ‘I love typography and clever graphic design, and am a fan of many folks who do this kind of thing and do it well.’
- ‘Many of the same basic principles of graphic design apply to design in any medium.’
- ‘He later moved to the United States to study art and graphic design.’
- ‘He studied graphic design at the York School of Art and went on to work for several leading design studios in London.’
- ‘He is currently studying video and graphic design at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts.’
- ‘This aspect of the exhibition pays homage to fashion and graphic design as well as to decorative design.’
- ‘A user can now create stunning menus to add to his site without having any graphic design skills.’
- ‘The focus of these debates was not on graphic design - it was on design in general.’
- ‘Advertising and graphic design have become hot career opportunities for students with a creative bent of mind.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.