Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The smallest meaningful contrastive unit in a writing system.Compare with phoneme
letter, figure, symbol, sign, mark, type, cipher, device, hieroglyph, runeView synonyms
- ‘However, to be able to correctly map graphemes to phonemes, or phonemes to graphemes, children have to rely on well-specified phonological representations.’
- ‘To reduce illiteracy and improve education in minority communities, the earliest efforts were concentrated on revising the existing writing systems to achieve a closer one-to-one correspondence between phonemes and graphemes.’
- ‘There were more deviations from the normal pattern in the pointed experiment, where dyslexies had to process both graphemes and diacritic signs than in the nonpointed experiment.’
- ‘Alternatively, the graphemes can be synthesized and mapped onto complete orthographic lexical representations.’
- ‘Then, beginning readers learn to parse the printed word into graphemes and subsequently assign phonemes to the different graphemes.’
1930s: from graph + -eme.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.