Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A berry (typically green, purple, or black) growing in clusters on a grapevine, eaten as fruit and used in making wine.
berry, vine fruitView synonyms
- ‘They taste the best because the Cabernet grapes ripen late in the season - in September or even October.’
- ‘Selina's eyebrow rose as she popped a green grape into her mouth.’
- ‘Most were produced from Shiraz or Cabernet Sauvignon grapes - or a combination of both.’
- ‘But after the vines bloom, he notes, table grape growers would have to switch to insecticides.’
- ‘Concord grape juice has the highest total antioxidant level of any fruit, vegetable or juice tested.’
- ‘Recently this company has experimented with more suitable wine grape varieties for both red and white table wines.’
- ‘We set out one sunny morning on horseback through the Sauvignon Blanc and Cabernet Sauvignon grapes.’
- ‘Of the grapes grown world-wide, table grapes represent the third most frequent use, following wine and dried grapes.’
- ‘The Gamay grapes used in the wines have a distinctive taste unique among red wine.’
- ‘A blanc de blancs is a sparkling wine made exclusively from Chardonnay grapes.’
- ‘Summer pruning may be carried out to ensure a smaller harvest of riper grapes.’
- ‘Today their cultivated land is up to 50 acres and includes Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay grapes.’
- ‘They continue to sell Chardonnay grapes to other vineyards.’
- ‘The process for making grappa from white grapes and red grapes varies significantly.’
- ‘Yet the wily Pinot Noir grape is best suited to cooler, less sunny climes.’
- ‘Invest in a set of small plastic boxes for chopped fresh fruit, strawberries, grapes or cherries.’
- ‘One of the original methods of producing rosé was to mix white grapes with black at the fermentation stage.’
- ‘Both are made from white or black grapes, or from a mixture of the two.’
- ‘Frozen seedless grapes add a festive touch and help keep drinks cold.’
- ‘The crisper drawer contains two apples, a bag of black seedless grapes, and a bulb of garlic.’
- 1.1the grapeinformal Wine.
- ‘It was while on engineering business in France that he fell under the grape's spell and decided to bring wine and wine culture home.’
- ‘He did a brief stint in the insurance industry, but his love of the grape soon led him to the wine business.’
- ‘They fill their pages with memories of the wine war from both sides of the struggle; stories that are sometimes somber, sometimes amusing, but which all commemorate those "whose love of the grape and devotion to a way of life helped them survive and triumph over one of the darkest and most difficult chapters in French history."’
- ‘It was through that and visiting vineyards while travelling with her husband that their love of the grape grew.’
- ‘This piercingly aromatic, citrus fruit and gooseberry-like white is drier and much closer to Sancerre than most Kiwi interpretations of the grape.’
2short for grapeshot
- ‘The gun discharged shot until the troops were within a short distance, when they fired grape.’
- ‘The most common canon was called the Napoleon and used both grape shot and canister ammunition.’
- ‘Grape shot was widely used in the 19th century wars, but by the time of the American Civil War, grape was primarily used by navel gun crews.’
- ‘The Jacobites stood the fire for some time before charging, being decimated by grape and musket shot.’
- ‘The naval commander, in his barrage covering the landing, used round shot instead of grape or canister, in order to minimize casualties.’
Middle English (also in the Old French sense): from Old French, ‘bunch of grapes’, probably from graper ‘gather grapes’, from grap ‘hook’ (denoting an implement used in harvesting grapes), of Germanic origin.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.