One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in sport) a close or exciting finish to a race or competition.
- ‘It set up a grandstand finish with both sides straining everything for victory.’
- ‘I'm beginning to wonder if there's some kind of conspiracy going on to ensure a grandstand finish to the season.’
- ‘The Division Three title decider at Cure Hill was building up into a grandstand finish when the rain arrived.’
- ‘And he so nearly staged a grandstand finish when he rifled a seven iron to a couple of feet from the last hole.’
- ‘Newcastle set up a grandstand finish by getting a third goal in the 78th minute.’
- ‘But despite a brave effort it wasn't to be as the Yorkshire League second division side just held on during a grandstand finish.’
- ‘Marsh, who was part of the New Zealand police team coached by Hansen a decade ago, struck twice in the first half, but France were forced to cling on to victory as Wales staged a grandstand finish.’
- ‘Two goals from Craig Dixon midway through the second half set up a grandstand finish.’
- ‘But the Swede took control before losing a wonderful fourth-set tie-break that set up a grandstand finish.’
- ‘Hislop added his second goal 20 minutes later and, although Derek Smith set up a grandstand finish when he pulled one back for the Highlanders, Stirling held firm.’
- ‘Peter Bromley had the most wonderful voice that chimed with the drumming of the horses' hooves, and the crescendo of a grandstand finish.’
- ‘There was another grandstand finish in the eight race between two of the outsiders of the party.’
- ‘Passion, drama, some sublime moments of class and a grandstand finish - the match had it all, and you only had to look at the differing reactions of the players at the final whistle to see what it meant to them.’
- ‘Steeton scored twice in three minutes to set up a grandstand finish, but they could equalise.’
- ‘It had everything you would expect from a final - massive defence, controversy, passion and a grandstand finish.’
- ‘In a grandstand finish McCann missed a glorious chance after Phillips put in Crouch for a point-blank header which landed in the arms of James.’
- ‘A goal by Robert Power in the 55th minute set up a grandstand finish as Clonea pressed forward in quest of a winning goal.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.