One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The son of one's son or daughter.
- ‘Mr Blanchard has a daughter, Rosemary, and two grandsons, one of whom works on the farm.’
- ‘His grandsons James, John and Robert, born in the 1850s, needed to be educated and two of them, John and Robert were sent to Harrow.’
- ‘Joining them will be son Graham, daughter Elaine, grandsons James, Ian, Scott and Lewis and great grandsons David and Alex.’
- ‘I spent many happy hours walking along the canal with my son, and then with my grandsons.’
- ‘He and Anne helped their daughter Emma bring up their grandson, Tom, when she was ill with depression.’
- ‘Mrs Chapman returned to an active retirement, spending time with her three grandsons and enjoying music and craft.’
- ‘In fact, I became a lot dafter (as did my husband) and we like doing silly things with our grandsons.’
- ‘As we walk around a lush, hilly paddock with his two grandsons, Quinn's obviously proud of what he's achieved so far.’
- ‘He has two daughters, both in their thirties, and grandsons.’
- ‘The greeting comes with lots of love and best wishes from Sharon and Eugene and grandsons Malcolm, Maximilian and Maurice.’
- ‘Mrs Bingley said she was looking forward to telling her grandsons about their father when they were older.’
- ‘She could not believe that her mother, who was devoted to her daughter and her two grandsons, would have ignored them in her will.’
- ‘Our life over the last few years has revolved around our grandsons.’
- ‘Carole's two daughters and her grandson are thrilled with the wedding plans.’
- ‘They have three children, Christine, Norman and Robert and two grandsons.’
- ‘I have 11 grandsons and five granddaughters and now I have my first great-granddaughter.’
- ‘I'm married to Shirley and we have three sons and five grandsons.’
- ‘During Mass her grandsons Richard and Adrian read the Readings.’
- ‘The couple have a son, Graham, and two grandsons, Andrew and Jack.’
- ‘Gifts and symbols representing John's life were carried to the altar by his grandsons, Patrick, John and William.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.