One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The son of one's son or daughter.
- ‘Joining them will be son Graham, daughter Elaine, grandsons James, Ian, Scott and Lewis and great grandsons David and Alex.’
- ‘He has two daughters, both in their thirties, and grandsons.’
- ‘Mr Blanchard has a daughter, Rosemary, and two grandsons, one of whom works on the farm.’
- ‘His grandsons James, John and Robert, born in the 1850s, needed to be educated and two of them, John and Robert were sent to Harrow.’
- ‘She could not believe that her mother, who was devoted to her daughter and her two grandsons, would have ignored them in her will.’
- ‘The greeting comes with lots of love and best wishes from Sharon and Eugene and grandsons Malcolm, Maximilian and Maurice.’
- ‘I spent many happy hours walking along the canal with my son, and then with my grandsons.’
- ‘He and Anne helped their daughter Emma bring up their grandson, Tom, when she was ill with depression.’
- ‘The couple have a son, Graham, and two grandsons, Andrew and Jack.’
- ‘Mrs Bingley said she was looking forward to telling her grandsons about their father when they were older.’
- ‘In fact, I became a lot dafter (as did my husband) and we like doing silly things with our grandsons.’
- ‘I have 11 grandsons and five granddaughters and now I have my first great-granddaughter.’
- ‘Carole's two daughters and her grandson are thrilled with the wedding plans.’
- ‘Gifts and symbols representing John's life were carried to the altar by his grandsons, Patrick, John and William.’
- ‘I'm married to Shirley and we have three sons and five grandsons.’
- ‘Our life over the last few years has revolved around our grandsons.’
- ‘Mrs Chapman returned to an active retirement, spending time with her three grandsons and enjoying music and craft.’
- ‘As we walk around a lush, hilly paddock with his two grandsons, Quinn's obviously proud of what he's achieved so far.’
- ‘During Mass her grandsons Richard and Adrian read the Readings.’
- ‘They have three children, Christine, Norman and Robert and two grandsons.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.