One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1archaic term for grandfather
- ‘To me, you are as loved as my grandsire; not blindly feared and obeyed.’
- ‘‘Then you would know your great grandsires,’ he murmured in an awed voice.’
- ‘It never occurred to me that you might not realize he was your father or grandfather, or great grandsire or whatever.’
- ‘It was a little while after the boy's granddam and grandsire had resigned, and Greni had returned with more grumbling, but looking considerably lighter of mood, that Naoise had noted the boy's inquisitive stares.’
- ‘‘Cuvee inherited his great speed from his sire, Carson City, and his grandsire, Mr. Prospector,’ Beck said.’
A particular method of change-ringing involving an odd number of bells.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.