One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A daughter of one's son or daughter.
- ‘Mrs Parry said she sees her retirement as a new chapter, when she hopes to do some travelling and, above all devote more time to her granddaughters, Hannah and Rebecca.’
- ‘Ann said: ‘I am looking to pass the skills I pick up to my granddaughters.’’
- ‘It is mine and it always will be until such time as it is handed down to my daughter and my granddaughter.’
- ‘Cheney's got a brand new grandson and three little granddaughters who are just beautiful.’
- ‘I have 11 grandsons and five granddaughters and now I have my first great-granddaughter.’
- ‘Forty years on, Benson is happily married with two daughters and a granddaughter.’
- ‘He is also looking forward to spending more time with his two granddaughters, twins Leona and Ciara, who are three-and-a-half years old.’
- ‘With that said I think I'll stop right here and take in lunch and a movie with my daughter and granddaughters.’
- ‘His wife, four daughters and three granddaughters accompanied him.’
- ‘I was blessed with three daughters, two granddaughters and a grandson.’
- ‘My daughter drops off my granddaughter on a regular basis and is now very late getting to work due to the traffic jams in this area.’
- ‘For ages, grandmothers educated granddaughters and mothers taught daughters, usually orally.’
- ‘A widow since 1978, she has one daughter and two granddaughters and a wide range of interests to keep her busy.’
- ‘We can pass our gifts on to our granddaughters and great granddaughters.’
- ‘Katie, one of my granddaughters, has a doll's house.’
- ‘Two Picasso paintings worth a total of €50m have been stolen from the Paris home of the artist's granddaughter, it emerged yesterday.’
- ‘Billy is married to Florence and has a son, two grandsons, a granddaughter and two great grandchildren.’
- ‘Charles and Victoria went on to have one daughter, three granddaughters and nine great-grandchildren, through the reign of four monarchs.’
- ‘She loved her grandchildren and spent many hours with her granddaughters when they were growing up.’
- ‘I've made several trips to San Diego… the most recent of which was to meet my brand-new granddaughter!’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.