One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A daughter of one's son or daughter.
- ‘For ages, grandmothers educated granddaughters and mothers taught daughters, usually orally.’
- ‘I was blessed with three daughters, two granddaughters and a grandson.’
- ‘Billy is married to Florence and has a son, two grandsons, a granddaughter and two great grandchildren.’
- ‘She loved her grandchildren and spent many hours with her granddaughters when they were growing up.’
- ‘We can pass our gifts on to our granddaughters and great granddaughters.’
- ‘Ann said: ‘I am looking to pass the skills I pick up to my granddaughters.’’
- ‘His wife, four daughters and three granddaughters accompanied him.’
- ‘He is also looking forward to spending more time with his two granddaughters, twins Leona and Ciara, who are three-and-a-half years old.’
- ‘Mrs Parry said she sees her retirement as a new chapter, when she hopes to do some travelling and, above all devote more time to her granddaughters, Hannah and Rebecca.’
- ‘I've made several trips to San Diego… the most recent of which was to meet my brand-new granddaughter!’
- ‘Katie, one of my granddaughters, has a doll's house.’
- ‘I have 11 grandsons and five granddaughters and now I have my first great-granddaughter.’
- ‘With that said I think I'll stop right here and take in lunch and a movie with my daughter and granddaughters.’
- ‘Charles and Victoria went on to have one daughter, three granddaughters and nine great-grandchildren, through the reign of four monarchs.’
- ‘A widow since 1978, she has one daughter and two granddaughters and a wide range of interests to keep her busy.’
- ‘Forty years on, Benson is happily married with two daughters and a granddaughter.’
- ‘Two Picasso paintings worth a total of €50m have been stolen from the Paris home of the artist's granddaughter, it emerged yesterday.’
- ‘My daughter drops off my granddaughter on a regular basis and is now very late getting to work due to the traffic jams in this area.’
- ‘Cheney's got a brand new grandson and three little granddaughters who are just beautiful.’
- ‘It is mine and it always will be until such time as it is handed down to my daughter and my granddaughter.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.