One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1trademark A set of major championships or matches in a particular sport in the same year, in particular tennis, golf, or rugby union.‘the tennis Grand Slam consists of the four most difficult major tournaments on the international circuit’
- ‘The major tournaments that now make up the grand slam have changed.’
- ‘He's going for the third leg of the Grand Slam.’
- ‘Among the triumphs was the 1978 Grand Slam tour of Britain, in which he captained the first New Zealand team to beat the four home unions.’
- ‘Naturally when you start winning matches in a Grand Slam, it is bound to have a snowballing effect in terms of gaining confidence.’
- ‘Going into the French Open, he had never won a match at a Grand Slam event.’
- ‘That gives her a great chance of at least matching her best Grand Slam performance to date, a semi-final appearance at Wimbledon in 1997.’
- ‘She's 46-0 in first-round matches at Grand Slam tournaments.’
- 1.1 Any of the individual championships that comprise a Grand Slam.‘the season's final Grand Slam at Flushing Meadows’
- ‘Wimbledon fourth seed David Nalbandian has withdrawn from this week's grass court grand slam with an abdominal injury.’
- ‘She is loving every minute of being back on court and she cannot get enough of the buzz of being at a grand slam.’
- ‘Tiger Woods did not win a major in 2003, and golf was energised, for the first time since 1969 all four grand slams were won by different men.’
- ‘Pierce stormed into her first grand slam final in five years by crushing Russia's Elena Likhovtseva in straight sets at the French Open.’
- ‘Federer, the top-ranked player in the world, won three of the four grand slams on offer in 2004 but the French Open was not one of them.’
- ‘The quality of the contest was as good as anything seen at the grand slams this season.’
- ‘It's hard to say how many times we are going to play each other here, let alone in a grand slam final.’
- ‘My goal at the start of the season was to try and play in as many of the grand slams as I could, and I'm really excited about Wimbledon.’
- ‘He responded by winning three of the year's four grand slam events.’
- ‘In the season's third major, the most venerable of golf's grand slam events, the game's major players are giving chase.’
- 1.2 The winning of all the individual championships that comprise a Grand Slam.‘the Springboks' dreams of a first Grand Slam since 1961 were ended by defeats against Ireland and England’
decisive victory, runaway victory, overwhelming majority, triumph, walkover, game, set, and matchView synonyms
- ‘Until the reign of Johnson, he was England's most successful postwar captain as England won three grand slams under his leadership.’
- ‘It would be great to be European champions in a World Cup year but a grand slam is a grand slam.’
- ‘Maureen Connolly in 1953 and Margaret Court Smith in 1970 achieved grand slams among the women.’
- ‘At the end of last year England blew their latest grand slam in the long-delayed match against Ireland.’
- ‘In 1953, Connolly became the first woman to achieve the grand slam, when she captured the Australian, French, Wimbledon and US singles titles.’
- ‘Woods appeared destined to become the greatest golfer of all time after winning the grand slam of majors in 2000 and being the number one for over four years.’
- ‘The film depicts a sensitive Jones as he swings to victory in golf's major tournaments - the coveted grand slam - in the magical year of 1930.’
The bidding and winning of all thirteen tricks.
- ‘A contract to make all 13 tricks is called a grand slam.’
A home run hit when each of the three bases is occupied by a runner, thus scoring four runs.
- ‘He belted four grand slams during the 1968 regular season.’
- ‘Through the 2004 season, Jeter has never hit a grand slam in the major leagues, although he has connected for a total of 149 career home runs.’
- ‘His debut grand slam is even more impressive when you consider that he was only the second major leaguer to hit a grand slam in his first at bat.’
- ‘Through the 2004 season, there have been 182 inside-the-park grand slams hit in major league history by 163 different players.’
- ‘During his distinguished career with the Yankees, Lou Gehrig hit 23 grand slams, most in major league history.’
Early 19th century (as a term in cards, especially bridge): from slam (sense 4 of the noun).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.