One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounthe grand manner
1A style considered appropriate for noble and stately matters.‘formal dining in the grand manner’
- ‘By the same token, it is hard to envisage them flourishing unless he emerges from the doldrums to bid farewell in the grand manner.’
- ‘He raised her ceremoniously to her feet and bowed low and very much in the grand manner.’
- ‘To write a biography in the grand manner of a figure so copiously analysed already must have been a monumental challenge.’
- ‘Beautifully shot by the great Ping Bin Lee, the picture evokes the passage of long periods of time while avoiding the grand manner of the epic form.’
- ‘But this is all part of the excitement of dining in the grand manner.’
- ‘Gary Fellows was trapped leg before without scoring but Michael Lumb ended the match in the grand manner with a big six.’
- ‘The Handel pieces are in the grand manner but are thrilling and exciting just the same.’
- 1.1the Grand Manner The lofty and rhetorical manner of historical painting exemplified by Raphael and Poussin.
- ‘The Grand Manner style entailed a romanticized view of the sitter, with rich colors and an exploration of detail in the sitter's features, costume and setting.’
- ‘From 1760, when he exhibited Niobe (New Haven, Yale Center for British Art) his work included historical landscapes in the Grand Manner alongside Claudean depictions of English views.’
- ‘Painted from life, the portrait was originally destined for Independence Hall and is conceived as a state portrait in the Grand Manner.’
- ‘The Grand Manner came to include portraiture - especially at full length and in life size - accompanied by settings and accessories that conveyed the dignified status of the sitters.’
- ‘Haydon's love of antiquity, along with his fervid ambition to revive historical painting in the Grand Manner, however, does not sit easily with preconceived notions of romanticism.’
- ‘Finally in Rome, the ornate classical style led the way to and was transposed into the Grand Manner that became popular after the death of Raphael.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.