One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounthe grand manner
1A style considered appropriate for noble and stately matters.‘formal dining in the grand manner’
- ‘Gary Fellows was trapped leg before without scoring but Michael Lumb ended the match in the grand manner with a big six.’
- ‘Beautifully shot by the great Ping Bin Lee, the picture evokes the passage of long periods of time while avoiding the grand manner of the epic form.’
- ‘By the same token, it is hard to envisage them flourishing unless he emerges from the doldrums to bid farewell in the grand manner.’
- ‘To write a biography in the grand manner of a figure so copiously analysed already must have been a monumental challenge.’
- ‘He raised her ceremoniously to her feet and bowed low and very much in the grand manner.’
- ‘The Handel pieces are in the grand manner but are thrilling and exciting just the same.’
- ‘But this is all part of the excitement of dining in the grand manner.’
- 1.1 The lofty and rhetorical manner of historical painting exemplified by Raphael and Poussin.
- ‘Painted from life, the portrait was originally destined for Independence Hall and is conceived as a state portrait in the Grand Manner.’
- ‘Finally in Rome, the ornate classical style led the way to and was transposed into the Grand Manner that became popular after the death of Raphael.’
- ‘Haydon's love of antiquity, along with his fervid ambition to revive historical painting in the Grand Manner, however, does not sit easily with preconceived notions of romanticism.’
- ‘From 1760, when he exhibited Niobe (New Haven, Yale Center for British Art) his work included historical landscapes in the Grand Manner alongside Claudean depictions of English views.’
- ‘The Grand Manner style entailed a romanticized view of the sitter, with rich colors and an exploration of detail in the sitter's features, costume and setting.’
- ‘The Grand Manner came to include portraiture - especially at full length and in life size - accompanied by settings and accessories that conveyed the dignified status of the sitters.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.