One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The stacks of thylakoids embedded in the stroma of a chloroplast.
- ‘The chloroplasts with large grana stacks were seen in 50% of cases but none of the parameters significantly explained the occurrence.’
- ‘Sometimes grana lost their stacked organization and appeared to slide partially apart at the partitions.’
- ‘Chloroplast envelopes, stacked grana and unstacked stroma thylakoids were well-defined.’
- ‘The thylakoid system was normally developed with grana composed of, on average, three to four stacked thylakoids.’
- ‘The VPC chloroplasts possessed well-developed thylakoids with grana.’
Late 19th century: plural of Latin granum ‘grain’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.