Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The stacks of thylakoids embedded in the stroma of a chloroplast.→ granum
- ‘Sometimes grana lost their stacked organization and appeared to slide partially apart at the partitions.’
- ‘The chloroplasts with large grana stacks were seen in 50% of cases but none of the parameters significantly explained the occurrence.’
- ‘The VPC chloroplasts possessed well-developed thylakoids with grana.’
- ‘The thylakoid system was normally developed with grana composed of, on average, three to four stacked thylakoids.’
- ‘Chloroplast envelopes, stacked grana and unstacked stroma thylakoids were well-defined.’
Late 19th century: plural of Latin granum grain.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.