One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A long-distance road cycling event in which a large number of participants ride a marked route.‘the two-day event features a gran fondo where participants can choose from 40- or 90-mile rides’
- ‘Ride times begin at 8 a.m. for the Gran Fondo, 9 a.m. for the 50-miler, 10 a.m. for the 25-miler and 11 a.m. for the 10-milers.’
- ‘A lot of gran fondos focus on quantity: The more riders the better.’
- ‘The third-annual OC Gran Fondo on Sept. 29 attracted 906 riders for the four routes.’
- ‘Northern Ireland will also bid for the Gran Fondo again, starting in 2015 for three years, meaning every year in June we would host a two-day Giro event.’
- ‘The Gran Fondo includes 30-, 75- and 95-mile rides, all departing Palo Alto City Hall at 8 a.m. Sunday.’
- ‘A Gran Fondo invites cyclists of all ages and levels to participate in a challenging ride, with an expo and Italian-themed pasta party adding to the festival atmosphere.’
- ‘The gran fondo—Italian for big ride—has slowly but steadily caught on in the United States.’
- ‘The 3 Peaks Challenge is, arguably, Australia's most demanding one-day gran fondo.’
- ‘The event was to be a Gran Fondo (classic long-distance Italian race) and the location Emilia Romagna.’
- ‘Gran Fondos are the new obsession of American riders, with thousands of participants pouring from all over the States to elite cycling destinations.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.