Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A long-distance road cycling event in which a large number of participants ride a marked route.‘the two-day event features a gran fondo where participants can choose from 40- or 90-mile rides’
- ‘A lot of gran fondos focus on quantity: The more riders the better.’
- ‘Northern Ireland will also bid for the Gran Fondo again, starting in 2015 for three years, meaning every year in June we would host a two-day Giro event.’
- ‘The third-annual OC Gran Fondo on Sept. 29 attracted 906 riders for the four routes.’
- ‘A Gran Fondo invites cyclists of all ages and levels to participate in a challenging ride, with an expo and Italian-themed pasta party adding to the festival atmosphere.’
- ‘Gran Fondos are the new obsession of American riders, with thousands of participants pouring from all over the States to elite cycling destinations.’
- ‘The gran fondo—Italian for big ride—has slowly but steadily caught on in the United States.’
- ‘The 3 Peaks Challenge is, arguably, Australia's most demanding one-day gran fondo.’
- ‘Ride times begin at 8 a.m. for the Gran Fondo, 9 a.m. for the 50-miler, 10 a.m. for the 25-miler and 11 a.m. for the 10-milers.’
- ‘The Gran Fondo includes 30-, 75- and 95-mile rides, all departing Palo Alto City Hall at 8 a.m. Sunday.’
- ‘The event was to be a Gran Fondo (classic long-distance Italian race) and the location Emilia Romagna.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.