One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who studies and writes about grammar.
- ‘The usage is intimately linked with the distinction which grammarians made between restrictive and non-restrictive clauses.’
- ‘I do not see many situations in which grammarians would except the ‘hanging’ preposition, but I advise all of you to use it cautiously and, above all, only in spoken or colloquial language.’
- ‘The grammarians ' attitude toward language, combined with the mechanical instruction in grammar required by the texts, made the subject feared and despised by pupils and teachers alike.’
- ‘Prescriptive grammarians routinely disparage innovative usages as introducing ambiguities.’
- ‘Jane Austen and all the other writers who use ‘they’ with antecedents like ‘everyone’ aren't making mistakes, they're using a feature of English that some grammarians have incorrectly identified as an error.’
- ‘Some grammarians have insisted that people is a collective noun that should not be used as a substitute for persons when referring to a specific number of individuals.’
- ‘This looks at how comparative linguistics started - apparently when Jews followed the example of Arabic grammarians and published the grammar of Hebrew.’
- ‘As schooling became somewhat more standardized over time, these prescriptivist grammarians became almost Biblical in proportion, even to the point that during the Colonial period the aboriginals were discouraged from speaking their own language because it was uncouth, uncivilized, imperfect, and perhaps most importantly, non-Christian.’
- ‘Even though we require our children to study the English language for 13 years in school, we can't seem to get people to speak English the way grammarians who write textbooks want us to.’
- ‘He who would have seized the spirit of the laws will learn the positive laws like the good grammarian learns a language.’
Middle English: from Old French gramarien, from gramaire (see grammar).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.