One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tall building used to store grain and containing equipment for conveying grain to the top of a storage bin or bins.‘the farmer delivers his crop to the grain elevator at the end of the year’
- ‘Sky-high grain elevators line the banks of the Buffalo River, guarding its southern flank.’
- ‘The flat prairies are spiked and divided by the grain elevator that serve as a reminder of an architectural feat unique to North America.’
- ‘When grain elevators were closed, it meant having to drive further to deliver grain, which increased fuel costs.’
- ‘She stopped her car in front of an old abandoned grain elevator.’
- ‘West Central's 18 grain elevators receive soybeans from up to 12 counties in western Iowa.’
- ‘The grain elevators located along the tracks unload 110 train carloads at a time, or a little over 20 million pounds of corn.’
- ‘However, demolition of a grain elevator in the area proposed for redevelopment was first required.’
- ‘Today, FC is modernizing a dozen grain elevators along main rail lines.’
- ‘The milieu of the First Ward was akin to a small industrial town, where the Irish lived in the shadow of the grain elevator.’
- ‘Within a mile of the site there are grain elevators, warehouses, and other old industrial buildings.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.