One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounNorth American
Wholewheat flour that has not been sifted.‘waffles made with graham flour, marshmallow bits and chocolate chips’
- ‘He thought all baking should be with graham flour, which he believed to be nutritionally superior.’
- ‘Into the scalded oatmeal, knead a small quantity of graham flour.’
- ‘Moisten the graham flour carefully with 1 cupful of the cold water.’
- ‘It is easy to understand that wheat must be eliminated from the diet, but wheat is hidden behind a lot of other titles, such as bulgur, graham flour, and spelt.’
- ‘In the making of white flour, the germ of the wheat is removed, and since most of the fat is taken out with the germ, white flour keeps much better than graham flour, from which the germ is not abstracted.’
- ‘Graham flour is normally used in Canada for making yeast rolls and loaves, quick breads, and also cakes.’
- ‘Dr. James Caleb Jackson created the first cold cereal in 1863 by baking rock-hard bricks of graham flour and water and breaking off chips.’
- ‘Other grains to avoid on a gluten-free diet include spelt, farina and semolina as well as graham flour.’
- ‘The size of the bran granules will vary from mill to mill (the making of graham flour remains an individualized process in an age of standardization!).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.