Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting or made from wholewheat flour that has not been sifted.‘a box of graham crackers’
- ‘Does the idea of drinking graham cracker milk gruel make you laugh or feel ill or both?’
- ‘Combine graham cracker crumbs with melted butter and stir.’
- ‘Anabel laughed as she put the roasted marshmallows on some graham crackers.’
- ‘The cake, which was always prepared a day before the holiday, had a graham cracker crust and a cream cheese filling.’
- ‘At snack time one day, the children used graham crackers, peanut butter, and raisins to create edible treasure maps.’
- ‘But when you try to make American-style cheesecake in France, you quickly run into a procurement hurdle: neither cream cheese or graham crackers are readily available.’
- ‘When my father did not immediately reappear, I went downstairs and got myself graham crackers and jam.’
- ‘In a food processor, add the graham crackers, sugar, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.’
- ‘I keep graham crackers and peanut butter in my desk drawer.’
- ‘I had milk and an orange and some graham crackers and a bagel and some cookies.’
- ‘Mix in graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and sugar.’
- ‘In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the flour, graham cracker crumbs, and butter and mix until just combined, about two minutes.’
- ‘Pearl barley, cracked wheat, graham flour and popcorn also make the whole-grain grade.’
- ‘Eat foods high in fiber such as beans, potatoes, broccoli, corn, graham crackers, and popcorn.’
- ‘They start to cook turnips and eat graham crackers, as they wait for their mother to come home.’
Mid 19th century: named after Sylvester Graham (1794–1851), an American advocate of dietary reform.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.