One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
attributive Denoting accommodation occupied free or at a low rent by permission of a sovereign or government.‘his mother was given a grace and favour apartment in Hampton Court Palace’
- ‘He lives in an 18th century grace and favour apartment in Admiralty Arch in Whitehall and has the use of a 214-acre official country residence at Dorneywood, Buckinghamshire.’
- ‘But he hasn't been so quick to give back his posh grace and favour London flat owned by the union.’
- ‘March 25, 2005 marks the opening of Suffragettes, Soldiers and Servants, a behind the scenes look at the lives of grace and favour residents at Hampton Court Palace from 1750 to 1950.’
- ‘No other Scottish ministers benefit from a grace and favour apartment in London, and have to pay for accommodation in the capital out of their own pocket.’
- ‘He is criticised for spending £13,000 of taxpayers money on new carpets for his grace and favour London flat.’
- ‘The reason Greenfield seems so at home among Brown's pampered clientele is because she is staying here while her grace and favour apartment above the Royal Institution is refurbished.’
- ‘But there was concern last night at the way senior Cabinet Ministers were still able to apply for up to £20,902 a year to cover rent or mortgage on a second property when they also get ministerial grace and favour homes.’
- ‘Yesterday, it also emerged that Wark and her husband have twice stayed overnight at McConnell's grace and favour residence, Bute House in Edinburgh.’
- ‘He points out that he is still living in the Home Secretary's grace and favour flat in central London, despite his resignation.’
- ‘He had Wark and Clements and their children to stay the night at Bute House, his grand grace and favour residence, before the year was out.’
- ‘The aide, known as ‘Fawcett the Fence’, will also receive financial help to stay in his grace and favour West London house.’
- ‘He is under fire for not paying council tax on either of his grace and favour residences.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.