One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A container from which a person chooses a wrapped item at random, without knowing the contents.British term lucky dip
- ‘For her, the box is a useless and impersonal thing, like the random presents pulled out of a grab bag.’
- ‘These grab bags come with standard designs with an imprint area for your custom message.’
- ‘I asked her if the wrapped presents were to be chosen randomly by each person from a grab bag.’
- ‘For a limited time, we have holiday grab bags available for a great price with fun mystery prizes.’
- 1.1 An assortment of items in a sealed bag which one buys or is given without knowing what the contents are.
- ‘Still, it would be a great surprise if Gilbert didn't pull a few gems out of his grab bag of old hits as well.’
- ‘Traditionally, there are a handful of obvious top choices, followed by a grab bag of mediocrity, potential and the occasional diamond in the rough.’
- ‘For the most part, they're taking programs that are incoherent and consist of random grab bag of courses.’
- ‘What a wonderful grab bag of conditions to say the least.’
- ‘The rest of the film is grab bag of the good and the bad.’
- ‘No, these are just a grab bag of activities that high-culture types consider ‘enriching’ and therefore force on their children.’
- ‘It's dismally apparent that American educators and school administrators place the English language into a grab bag full of other equally important areas of knowledge.’
- ‘On that day, we've got a scavenger hunt going on with grab bags.’
- ‘The documents spell out a corporate shopping list, a grab bag of public and private services which European companies would like to get their hands on.’
- ‘These customized pro forma calculations excluded a grab bag of expenses and allowed upstart companies to show a profit.’
- ‘All of the contents of the grab bags are original designs of mine that have been used as products or support materials for artists.’
- ‘Every day the quarantine officials find a grab bag of seeds, plants and fungi.’
- ‘It's a veritable grab bag of surprises as nothing's really been nailed down yet.’
- ‘It's tempting to call the music a grab bag of styles, but the twist is that these guys are combining styles that never really had names to being with.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.