One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The chief representative of the Crown in a Commonwealth country of which the British monarch is head of state.
- ‘Brisbane will lead the international fleet into the harbour to be greeted by onlookers and reviewing officers, Prince Phillip and the Governor General.’
- ‘In March 1904 the city council petitioned the Governor General for possession or control of the city water front.’
- ‘Final confirmation of the reserve by the Governor General in Council has never been obtained.’
- ‘After coming to a decision, the members of the Cabinet Committee, or perhaps a senior member, signed the draft Order in Council, which was then presented to the Governor General for her signature.’
- ‘Although she can't force an election, the Governor General can advise the prime minister to dissolve Parliament and call a vote.’
- ‘The Governor General represented both the Queen and her British government, and he was always a Briton.’
- ‘She is the youngest daughter of Lord Patten of Barnes, the 28th and last British Governor General of Hong Kong.’
- ‘He'd met with the Governor General back in January to discuss the needs of underprivileged children and has so far received her esteemed stamp of approval.’
- ‘The Governor General of India, Lord Louis Mountbatten, oversaw the provisional acceptance of Kashmir into the Indian union pending a plebiscite.’
- ‘In Singapore, in the late 1940s, he was the British Governor General for South East Asia and later in Kenya he had played the role of a diplomat.’
- ‘Dame Catherine Tizard became New Zealand's first woman Governor General - the fourth female Governor-General in the Commonwealth.’
- ‘The Prime Minister, the Foreign Minister and the Governor General all asked the Singapore Government to grant him clemency, but Singapore's Cabinet rejected their pleas today.’
- ‘Brisbane will lead the review into the harbour, while it is expected the Governor General will be the reviewing officer.’
- ‘The first Governor General of British Bengal was appointed because he was well versed in Urdu and Persian.’
- ‘‘It is with deep regret and after much thought that I have today advised the Prime Minister that I wish to resign from the office of Governor General of the Commonwealth of Australia,’ he added.’
- ‘Our constitution was written when Queen Victoria ruled and the Governor General was her representative.’
- 1.1historical An analogous representative of another Crown.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.