One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The official residence of a governor, especially in a colony or Commonwealth state that regards the British monarch as head of state.
- ‘Tasmania's Government House is today regarded as one of the best Vice-Regal residences in the Commonwealth.’
- ‘Their Honours hosted afternoon tea at Government House, in celebration of the official 80th birthday of the Queen.’
- ‘The Governor and his Lady moved into Government House in 1805, with further work continuing on the house for years after.’
- ‘As home of the Governor, Government House plays an important role in the public life of Queensland.’
- ‘The swearing in of the Ministry will take place on Monday afternoon, 26 November 2001, at Government House, Canberra.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.