Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The official residence of a governor, especially in a colony or Commonwealth state that regards the British monarch as head of state.
- ‘The swearing in of the Ministry will take place on Monday afternoon, 26 November 2001, at Government House, Canberra.’
- ‘Tasmania's Government House is today regarded as one of the best Vice-Regal residences in the Commonwealth.’
- ‘As home of the Governor, Government House plays an important role in the public life of Queensland.’
- ‘Their Honours hosted afternoon tea at Government House, in celebration of the official 80th birthday of the Queen.’
- ‘The Governor and his Lady moved into Government House in 1805, with further work continuing on the house for years after.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.