One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The basic monetary unit of Haiti, equal to 100 centimes.
- ‘Some of the migrants want to make a new home in a place with steady work, and some stay only for a few weeks, just long enough to take back 800 or 1,000 gourdes.’
- ‘So his father sold one of his plots to raise the 5,000 gourdes fare for him.’
- ‘As we're leaving he asks for 500 gourdes.’
- ‘Conditions for the masses continue to deteriorate, with the value of the national currency, the gourde, falling from 15 to the dollar in 1996 to 24 to the dollar today.’
- ‘First, the warehousemen's union was recently informed that a job that normally pays 10,000 gourdes would henceforth pay 2,000 gourdes.’
The Franco-American name for a dollar.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.