One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The Gypsy name for a non-Gypsy.
- ‘However much some aspects of their social life and means of livelihood may overlap with their own, the Irish and some of the Scottish Travellers are gorgios, not Romanichals.’
- ‘They do not object to the gorgios looking on, but they would rather they did not join in the merriment.’
- ‘I had no education and no knowledge of ‘gorgio’ civilisation, and I grew up wild as the birds, frolicsome as the lambs, and as difficult to catch as the rabbits.’
- ‘It has been asserted, I believe, by various gorgio writers, that they have everything in common, and that there is a common stock out of which every one takes what he needs; this is quite a mistake, however.’
- ‘To say that all Travellers are thieves would be the same as saying that all gorgios (non-Travellers) are murderers because a few of them have committed murder.’
From Romany gorjo.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.