One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic waterproof fabric permeable to air and water vapour, used in outdoor and sports clothing.
- ‘We tune skis, mend Gore-tex, modify toys, and attack piles of forgotten gear on total faith that it will snow before Christmas.’
- ‘We had an entire case each of flippy skirts for the city but, although I'd spent days trying on Gore-tex anoraks and khaki quick-dry zip-off hiking trousers, I couldn't bring myself to buy them, instead stocking up on girly fleeces.’
- ‘I'm sure Gore-tex was never designed to cope with this fluidic onslaught.’
- ‘‘We probably should have gone for the Gore-tex sooner as the cloud eventually saturated the windproofs,’ said C / Sgt Renny.’
- ‘I'd like one that is Gore-tex (or something equally as waterproof) and very warm, with few drafts at the seams and openings.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.