One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A large harmless yellowish-cream snake with darker markings, native to western North America.
"Pituophis catenifer", family "Colubridae"
- ‘The poles of the Earth are not plumb either, just like the chalk stars in constellation over a gopher snake.’
- ‘Predators from gopher snakes to lions have to be able to anticipate where their quarry will dart.’
- ‘In Paradise Valley we found such a place where we could exchange the unctuous reptiles of Hollywood for far less pretentious alligator lizards and gopher snakes.’
- ‘Randall and Matocq showed that gopher snakes respond to foot drumming of the banner-tailed kangaroo rat.’
- ‘The next a big gopher snake, fat with spring voles, suns itself on the mown grass.’
- 1.1another term for indigo snake
- ‘In the wild it often inhabits gopher burrows, hence the common names gopher snake or blue gopher snake.’
- ‘Because it seeks refuge in gopher tortoise burrows, along with diamondback rattlesnakes and many other organisms, in some parts of Florida the indigo is called the 'gopher snake'.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.