One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A support or pipe curved like a goose's neck.
- ‘Try dimming the lights if your work space seems too bright, or use a swing-arm or gooseneck lamp to illuminate your work area if it seems too dim.’
- ‘One camera is mounted on a gooseneck stand so it can be pointed at the scientist's hands, sketches or other physical artifacts scientists may use during experiments; the other is positioned to capture a head and shoulders view of the user.’
- ‘Features include a 10 number speed dial, an alias database, and an optional gooseneck microphone.’
- ‘A high-profile boardroom will have tiny microphones embedded into the table, where a not-so-public training room will have gooseneck microphones for better audio.’
- ‘It's basically a mini lamp at the end of a flexible gooseneck cable.’
- ‘This lamp has a flexible gooseneck design for maximum efficiency, with an ‘Instant On’ switch that is flicker-free.’
A metal fitting at the end of a boom, connecting it to a pivot or ring at the base of the mast.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.