One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A zero score in a game.‘once again, our team goes home with a big goose egg’
- ‘The last goalie to record four straight goose eggs was Montreal's Bill Durnan in 1949.’
- ‘He's also racked up three goose eggs and appears to be well on his way to taking the next step in his hockey career.’
- ‘All three major cultivars of lettuce (romaine, iceberg and butter) come up with the big goose egg in the caffeine department.’
- ‘Considering we watched him drop two goose eggs in the Euro League Semifinals and Finals, he should be pumped to be back in the League.’
- ‘Not too many teams win in the NFL after putting up goose eggs in the second half.’
- ‘In four other seasons, the figure soared to '1' before receding to the familiar goose egg the next year.’
- ‘Another outstanding year and another goose egg on the Cy Young scoreboard.’
- ‘For all I know I'll run around making drinks for you all night and at the end you leave me a big goose egg on the tip line.’
- ‘He won two races in '96, laid a goose egg in '97 - his first winless season in 16 years - and squeezed out one victory in '98.’
- ‘But the No.31 team didn't win a race this season, and that goose egg has become an increasing source of frustration.’
- ‘If he puts up another goose egg this season, he could be gone.’
- ‘The 2000 season ended with goose eggs for a number of established major leaguers.’
- ‘At the end of the meeting, Jae had eight points, Korie had six, Erica had three, and Finnegan had a big goose egg next to her name.’
- ‘The current date and time, along with the current month's calendar, are at the top of the screen, and next come summaries of my accounts (none yet) with a big goose egg for my personal worth.’
- ‘That's two goose eggs in a row, counting the preseason-ending loss to the Raiders.’
Late 19th century: with reference to the shape of the zero; compare with duck.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.