One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hired thug or bully.‘the unbridled goondas roughed up the peasants and murdered them very often’
- ‘People are afraid to go to cinemas with family due to the ever-increasing presence of hooligans and goondas.’
- ‘It proves that the so-called forty terrorists were not a collection of goondas, murderers or robbers, as was made out by the government.’
- ‘He says first he was offered a blank cheque, then goondas - hired thugs - came to his home at night.’
- ‘A literate, enlightened people will not allow goondas to rule them.’
- ‘In the fateful evening when he was returning from his office, he was caught by a group of goondas and taken away to a deserted place.’
From Hindi guṇḍā ‘rascal’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.