One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hired thug or bully.‘the unbridled goondas roughed up the peasants and murdered them very often’
- ‘A literate, enlightened people will not allow goondas to rule them.’
- ‘In the fateful evening when he was returning from his office, he was caught by a group of goondas and taken away to a deserted place.’
- ‘People are afraid to go to cinemas with family due to the ever-increasing presence of hooligans and goondas.’
- ‘He says first he was offered a blank cheque, then goondas - hired thugs - came to his home at night.’
- ‘It proves that the so-called forty terrorists were not a collection of goondas, murderers or robbers, as was made out by the government.’
From Hindi guṇḍā ‘rascal’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.