One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The female head of a household.
- ‘A later purchaser was ‘George Nicoll,’ who bought it from a goodwife (whose name is illegible) for 6d.’
- ‘Farmers and artisans, goodwives and slaves - ‘the people most exposed to fortune's slings and arrows’ - adhered to an ‘ethic of fortune’ that violated Protestant orthodoxy.’
- ‘He accused goodwife Elizabeth Gregory of bewitching his daughter.’
- ‘As Callan looked at her, she realised how tired and overworked the goodwife was, and - although she had never noticed this before - how old.’
- ‘She wanted to go see goodwife Eithne's new baby, so I let her go.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.